Prepare yourself and those around you before surgery. The more support you have before your procedure, the less anxious you will feel during the process. Here is a checklist of what you can do ahead of time to make your recovery optimal.
- Determine who will be taking you home after your procedure.
- Plan to have a responsible adult stay overnight with you for the first 24 hours after you have been discharged.
- Discuss with your surgeon the pain management plan so you know exactly what to do if you should feel any discomfort or pain.
- Obtain postoperative prescriptions and have them filled before your surgery day.
- Ask if you should pre-schedule your postoperative visits or wait until after your procedure.
- Follow all specific preoperative instructions regarding eating, drinking, taking medicines, etc. Be open and honest with your surgeon if you were not able to comply.
- Bring a list of all your current medications with you—name, dose, schedule.
- Enlist friends and family to stock your refrigerator or freezer with premade, easy to reheat meals.
- Contact the Medarva Stony Point Surgery Center or HCA hospital in advance of your procedure to pre-register, confirm preoperative instructions, or ask questions about your financial responsibility for the facility and anesthesia fees.