If the NBA is not playing basketball, then I am not going to the gym this week.
If colleges are closing, then I am not celebrating in bars and restaurants.
If I can walk or drive in a private car, I am not taking the train or plane.
This virus is thriving on our over-scheduled, diverse and often crowded culture. This Spring 2020 is a season for us to slow down and get to know a few close friends and family better. The fewer contacts we have, the less likely the virus will continue to spread.
I know it is disappointing to miss the last half of your semester, postpone a wedding, or skip Sunday services, but if people get sick and some die, would you be glad you were there?
- If you are serving food, prepare individual plates, not a buffet. Pack your own lunch.
- Instead of going to the gym, take a walk or bike ride and enjoy the Spring air.
- Instead of going to the theater, snuggle with a loved one and a good book.
- If you must meet with people, keep it to small gatherings among people you know.
- If you work with customers, wash your hands frequently.
- If you can work from home, do so.
- If you even think you might be sick, stay home!